Friday 26 October 2012

Parents Don't Have Super Powers.


Parent's aren't super heroes

I realized that when I was in my twenties, my father was valiantly battling a form of leukemia and my mother was helpless to stop it from destroying his body
From the time I was little I recall a steadfast belief that my parents would live forever. Mom, with her nursing background could cure anything. Dad the athlete the jock was impervious to illness. Leaving all their strength for keeping my older brother and I from harm.
Then that Christmas came.  Dad was diagnosed. A simple phone call. I watched in silence, brooding and deep, as my illusion crumbled. They were just human. Mom couldn't cure this cancer in Dad's blood and bones with a kiss. Her ineffectiveness was clear. It crippled her, it crippled us.

Now my husband has injured his shoulder, damaged rotator cuff. His livelihood dictates that he use his upper body all day. I am powerless to stop his pain.

Are my 2 kids witnessing the death of a long standing childhood myth? He is 6 going on 7, she is not yet 3. How are they interpreting this change in our family rhythm?

No comments:

Post a Comment